A lot of my projects take a loooong time. It’s not necessarily that I like projects that take a long time, or that I am an especially slow worker. It’s just that when I start a project, I’m loose about the details. So as the project goes along, any new idea that I want to try gets added to it; I have trouble knowing when enough is enough. I don’t know quite how it happens, but it just multiplies and multiples until well, a year later I’m still plugging away at it. The problem is, some of these projects are time sensitive because they are for my daughters, and they are usually age appropriate at the time I start them, not at the time I finish them. In retrospect, I probably should have started these projects way back, before I was even pregnant. Ha!
Well, this is one of those projects.
I’m not sure if my little girl is at the “quiet book” age still, but I hope she’ll humor me at least a little by playing with this thing. Because I’ve spent countless hours working on it. Fortunately, I have another little girl who will be ready to use it in a year or so.
(Another problem that I have is that my projects are usually too nice to let kids play with. Like, it would break my heart a little if she were to wreck it up. But that’s another story.)
I ordered my first round of wool felt for this project back in April 2010 (first round because I ran out of the colors I needed twice. Ahem, did I mention that I also have a problem with planning how many supplies a project requires?). I didn’t actually cut into the felt until June while I was in Ecuador—yes, I packed some craft projects with me on our South American excursion; I thought I might need something to do while the whole country was watching the World Cup.
Anyways, this is kind of a juggernaut of a project, so I decided to break it up into several posts. No tutorials on it, per se, but if you have any questions about my process, be sure to ask. I would love to inspire others with my book.
Here’s a quick look at the inside:
And the dedications for my daughters:
The whole thing is my original creation, that includes all the embroidery designs. I usually started with a sketch or two of what I wanted to make, but I didn’t transfer the design very often, usually I looked at the sketch and sort of followed that as I stitched most of them, but I might be able to create some stitching templates if you see a design you really like and want to try.
Oh, it feels so nice to have this project finished. I’ll be sharing some more details of the individual pages throughout the next weeks. Let me know what you think.
p.s. I’m linking this project up on tatertots and jello.