Last weekend I decided to be ambitious and attempt another sewing project.
I took this:
a lovely free pattern from here, and 2 hours to come up with these:
I made them for a friend who just had an adorable little baby boy. We were pregnant at the same time, and we went walking a together up until the week before I had my baby. She has a little boy who is friends with my daughter, and now my second daughter can hang out with his little brother. So yeah, I wanted these to be special. This is the first clothing item that I’ve ever made for someone else, and I was a little nervous (don’t laugh, this sewing thing really is a challenge for me!).
Well, the pattern was really nice to work with; it seemed really straightforward and I followed the directions exactly except for using a button and a loop of elastic for the closure. I loved how they turned out (mostly; of course there were a few things that I would change; it’s probably good that I don’t have to look at them every day and remember how one is slightly bigger than the other, or how the front seam is crooked, or the buttons aren’t exactly in the right place, etc., etc. ).
With each project I’m feeling a little better about what I’m doing and a little less like I’m trying to arm wrestle my machine to get it to do what I want. Maybe I’ll make a little pair for my own baby. These could easily look like little girl shoes with some pink lining and maybe a ribbon tie instead of a button. We’ll see.